5 Things: K9 Unit Update, Local Runners Excel
Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Passing the Buck: This weekend the Holliston Firefighters set up a voluntary toll road to raise money for the Muscular Dystrphy Assocation. According th Chief Michael Cassidy the crew raised $1,800.
2. Police K9 Update: The Holliston Police Department is nearly done raising the initial funds for their K9 unit. With 19,500 raised as of yesterday they are hoping to reach their goal at the Guns N' Hoses softball game this Saturday. Chief John Moore said they are hoping to have the dog on hand at the Celebrate Holliston event at the end of September.
3. Going the Distance: Hopkinton resident Steve Levandosky won Sunday's 3rd Annual Westborough Sprint Triathlon, according to the official race results. Levandosky finished with a total time of 1:02:15, according to coolrunning.com. The competition started with a quarter-mile swim in Lake Chauncy, followed by a 14-mile bike race and a 3-mile run. There were 329 people who completed the event.
3.5 Mini Runner: While 10,000 runners prepared to hit the roads of Falmouth for Sunday’s annual road race, the weekend’s festivities kicked off on Saturday, August 11th with the 12th Annual SBLI Falmouth Recreation Family Fun Run, and an impressive showing by Hopkinton, MA resident Liam Ford, who finished first in the Boys Ages 10-11 race.
4. Senior Picnic: Today from noon to 2 p.m. senior citizens are invited to Join Rep. Carolyn Dykema (D-Holliston) for a picnic at the Laborers Training Camp from noon to 2 p.m. More information is available at the local senior centers.
5. Blog on Patch: New bloggers are popping up all over the MetroWest region and we try to feature some of the best on Holliston-Hopkinton Patch daily. If you have a passion about something from ghost hunting to the death penalty we want you to share it with others.