5 Things: West Nile Virus, Oprah Visits MetroWest
Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. West Nile Found in Hopkinton: Mosquito season is starting early for many MetroWest communities. The Hopkinton Health Department announced that mosquitos carrying West Nile Virus and EEE have been found in Hopkinton. According to Ed Wirtanen, director of the health department, this is relatively early in the season.
2. Rep. Dykema Hosts Picnic: On Tuesday, Representative Carolyn Dykema (D-Holliston) hosted seniors from across the 8th Middlesex District of Holliston, Hopkinton, Medway, Southborough and Westborough for an annual picnic at the New England Laborers’ Training Center in Hopkinton. “This picnic is a great send off to summer,” Dykema said. “It’s great to see so many friends from years past and new neighbors attending as well.” Local officials including Holliston Selectman Jay Marsden, Hopkinton Selectmen Ben Pallieko and Brian Herr, and Westborough Selectman George Barrette manned the grills and spoke with guests. Senator Jamie Eldridge, Puja Mehta from Senator Karen Spilka’s office, Southborough Planning Board Chairman Charles Gaffney, and Southborough Town Planner Eric Denoncourt also stopped by. Over 125 seniors joined in the afternoon festivities featuring food fresh off the grill, music and a raffle featuring local businesses.
3. Oprah Visits MetroWest: You know the name, you probably even know the initial, on Wednesday Oprah visited Framingham. She was seen shopping at Bed Bath and Beyond on route 9 and took pictures with community members.
4. MetroWest Colonials Football Team: Yes, you read that right; there is a MetroWest football team. The colonials play their home games in Marlborough at Kelleher Field. You can catch a game tomorrow (Aug. 25) in Marlborough at 7 p.m. against the Boston Bandits.
5. Weekend Weather: Take advantage of the weather this weekend if you can. Temperatures will be hanging out around 80 and the sun should be shining. For Holliston students this will be the last weekend without homework so make sure you enjoy it.