5 Things You Need to Know Today: April 17
Vote for Hopkinton's best coffee shop and register to learn how to talk to your children about drugs and alcohol.
Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Yesterday we asked for your opinion on where the best place to grab a coffee in Hopkinton was. It was a busy day with the Boston Marathon but we want to make sure the poll doesn't get lost in the shuffle. After only a few votes Hopkinton Gourmet has taken the lead. Don't forget that comments and business reviews count just as much as the final tally in the poll!
2. If you've been reading Patch over the past few months you may have realized that there have been numerous underage drinking charges as well as an increase in marijuana use. If you have a teen that you feel may be involved in risky behaviors such as these then Hopkinton Youth Services Coordinator Jean Vazza is having just the program for you. On Monday, April 23, at the Library a small group-style discussion will include how to talk openly to teens about substance use, identifying signs of teen substance use, age of onset for using, effects that drugs and alcohol have on adolescents' physical and emotional well-being, parenting/caretaker suggestions and guidelines and local/community resources and support. Advance registration is required by simply contacting Jean at firstname.lastname@example.org 508-497-9820 ext. 1520.
3. Since March 24, the Abbey Villa S.C. Boys U16 Barcelona having been blazing the soccer trail proudly representing Hopkinton and our neighboring towns in the select Northeast League. Coming up against the best Boys U16 teams in Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut and Vermont. The boys played seven games in all, winning four, tying two and losing one. These boys have come a long way since they entered MAPLE Division 3 four years ago. Their hard work and the clubs focus on player development is now coming to the fore.
4. Today is the very last day to file your 2011 tax returns. Don't miss this important date.
5. Did you have a friend or family member running in the Boston Marathon yesterday? We have a list of the finish time for all of the Hopkinton runners (and others running for Hopkinton charities).