5 Things You Need to Know Today: Jan. 26
Two public forums tonight, one about the school's budget the other about the potential casino in Milford.
Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Have a student in the public school system? The Hopkinton School Committee will be holding its annual Public Hearings on School Choice and the School District Budget at 7 p.m. in the Middle School Library. Residents are encouraged to attend and share their opinions with the School Committee prior to votes being taken on both issues. The Superintendent’s Proposed FY13 Budget can be reviewed on the district website at: http://www.hopkinton.k12.ma.us/newweb2/schoolcommittee/budget/12_13/FY13SuptPreliminaryBudget.pdf. Anyone who is unable to attend the meeting on the tonight is invited to contact the School Committee prior to the meeting to share their opinions.
2. Curious about how having a casino in Milford would affect you? Tonight Senator Karen Spilka will be meeting with the leaders of Hopkinton and other local communities at 7:30 p.m. in Holliston to discuss what it would mean for the MetroWest area. The forum is open for public comment.
3. Have you wanted to read to your third grade child’s class? The Elmwood School is looking for mystery readers to spend 25 minutes with a class reading to them. More information can be found by contacting the Elmwood librarian, Betci Weldon.
4. The Hopkinton Public Library Foundation raised over $6,000 through their Princess Tea Party fundraiser; they are looking to keep the fundraising going by having two runners in the Boston Marathon. If you’re interested in running for the foundation email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Other groups in town are also looking for marathon runners to help them raise money including the skateboard club and the 300th Anniversary Celebration Committee. Contact either organization or stop by the Town Hall for more information.