5 Things You Need to Know Today: May 7
Don't miss the annual town meeting tonight. Votes will include a parking lot for EMC, a new liquor license and the creating of a downtown parking lot.
Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Tonight at 7 is the Annual Town Meeting in the Middle School auditorium. Hopkinton Patch will be at the meeting giving live updates as the night progresses. As a supporter of local government we understand how important it is to have your voice heard and your vote counted. We encourage everyone to attend the meeting in person but we hope to provide those who are unable to attend a chance to follow along from wherever they may be.
Throughout the day today will be posting a rundown of all 58 articles, we will also feature a letter from the town moderator that outlines the procedure for town meeting.
2. This weekend we asked Patch readers to weigh in on whether horse racing is animal cruelty or not. Nearly 80 percent of voters believed that the major gambling event is not good for the animals. Several readers even shared their opinions in the comments section.
3. Did you know that from May 1 through Sept. 30 Hopkinton residents are in a mandatory water ban? Water-Sewer Manager Eric Carty sent out an announcement giving the background for the water ban as well as what the restrictions actually take place.
4. Do you know any Hopkinton residents that are going above and beyond to in town? We've featured people who work in town government, local volunteers and more and we want to hear your ideas. You can nominate someone for a Patch Profile by commenting on the site or emailing email@example.com
5. The weather this weekend didn't cooperate as well as many people had hoped, but today is going to be nice. The high temperature will reach near 70 degrees and the sun is supposed to be shining. Today looks like the pick of the week.