At 8:12 this morning a staff member working at Elmwood School reported a burning smell with visible smoke in the building.
According to a release from the school, many students had already arrived for the school day and the entire building was evacuated.
"Upon inspection, the Fire Department determined that the heating motor to an upstairs heating unit had burned out, causing smoke and a strong electrical odor," the school's release said.
School principal Dave Ljungberg said he was impressed with the response by the students.
"Students exited the building just as we had practiced. Chief Clark personally complimented the entire student body from his observations of our evacuation process," he said.
All students and staff were returned safely to their classrooms to continue the day after the fire department gave the all clear.