Invite a friend
Comey Chapel Reopening & Civil War Tour
On Sunday, May 20th at 2 PM, the town’s Comey chapel in Evergreen Cemetery (304 Wood St.) will be reopened and rededicated, followed by a Civil War walking tour of the cemetery, focusing on the Comeys and other Hopkinton veterans who fought for the Union. The chapel, built in 1918 by son of Woodville and Civil War Veteran Henry Newton Comey, had been closed for over 30 years and had fallen into disrepair. It was dedicated to the many members of the Comey family who served during the war, as well as to H.N. Comey’s wife Augusta Wood Comey. Through volunteer efforts and Community Preservation Act funding for roof replacement, this charming stone chapel has been restored for the townspeople to use again for memorials or other small services.
In recognition of the 150 year anniversary of the Civil War and to honor the Hopkinton veterans who served, a Civil War tour will follow the rededication ceremony. Period-costumed guides will give an overview of these soldiers’ experiences, and some of the battles represented, and will explain events that shaped the course of the war. Henry Newton Comey served all four years of the war and later stood guard in the courtroom throughout the trial of the Lincoln conspirators. His experiences, and those of the eight Comeys who served, tell a remarkable story of valor and love of country. The Cemetery Commission invites you to come learn about the service of these Civil War soldiers and honor their sacrifice, as the doors of this town treasure, the Comey Chapel, are opened once again.
More About Evergreen Cemetery
The Evergreen Cemetery is a town-owned cemetery that has been a part of the community since 1812. The cemetery is the main cemetery for residents of Hopkinton and is the final resting place of many Revolutionary War and Civil War soldiers. The Comey Memorial Chapel is also a part of the cemetery, and the main entrance is located on Wood Street.