Framingham Trader Joe's Customers May Have Been Exposed to Measles

Massachusetts Department of Public Health officials confirm two cases last week in the MetroWest area.

By Susan Petroni

Massachusetts Department of Public Health officials are confirming two cases of measles - one in Framingham and one in another MetroWest community. 

An individual with measles, and infectious, was at Trader Joe's in Framingham on Feb. 15 and 16, according to the Framingham Board of Health.

Framingham Health Director Steven Ward said he could not provide demographic details on the individual with measles or if he or she was an employee of Trader Joe's.

If anyone was in the store on those days, they may wish to contact their doctor or health care provider.

Measles is a very contagious disease that usually lasts a week or two. It can cause serious problems like ear infections, pneumonia, swelling of the brain in some people, especially pregnant women, infants, and those with weakened immune systems. 

Adults are also at increased risk for severe disease and may need to be hospitalized due to complications. 

Adults especially should contact their doctor about their immunication.

Measles looks and feels like a cold at first. A cough, high fever, runny nose, and red, watery eyes are common. These symptoms start about 10 days after infection. A few days later, a red blotchy rash starts on the face first, then spreads to the rest of the body.  

The virus that causes measles lives in the nose and throat and is sprayed into the air when an infected person coughs or talks. Other people nearby can then inhale the virus. Measles is very infectious and can stay in the air for up to two hours after the contagious person has left the room. 

People with measles are infectious for four days prior to rash onset, until four days after onset. If someone is susceptible to measles, they usually show symptoms 10-14 days after exposure.  
Prometheus February 25, 2014 at 11:12 AM
....and a lack of total immunity does not indicate citizenship.
Paul Bishop February 25, 2014 at 05:24 PM
Sherry, that is not true. Your claim requires documentation... it is incumbent upon those making a claim to provide the evidence, it is not incumbent upon the masses to debunk unsupported claims. Meanwhile, Southborough Medical Group is on QUARANTINE protocols. Thank the anti-science lunatics once again. http://marlborough.patch.com/groups/paul-bishops-blog/p/measels-outbreak-let-the-vaccine-discussion-begin
Paul Bishop February 25, 2014 at 05:32 PM
Also, people need to understand Herd Immunity. Any vaccine is at best going to be around 80% effective for many reasons. The remaining 20% of community epidemic prevention is a function of germs finding it hard to spread among a populace that is 80% immune. No vaccine means No immunity, an open vector into the crowd. The elderly, children, and those who are otherwise sick... the ones whose vaccines are least likely to work as well as they should.. are the most damaged when healthy people refuse to do their part to prevent epidemic diseases. Measels is relatively benign. How about if Polio or Smallpox were being discussed? Epidemiology ought to be taught in schools, and done with images of what happens.. inevitably.. when epidemics arise.
Aron Levy February 25, 2014 at 05:39 PM
It is the unvaccinated that always spread the disease. Paul is absolutely right. (And what does this have ANYTHING to do with immigration?)
SummerLover February 25, 2014 at 08:51 PM
Well said Paul. My son is 9 months old and is not scheduled to receive his MMR vaccine until he is 12-15 months old. These cases petrify a mother like me who frequents play groups and stores in the area. There are very real consequences to peoples' choices not to get vaccinated.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »