- Unplug all lighting before retiring for the evening or leaving the house.
- Purchase lights and electric decorations which are listed by an approved testing agency such as Underwriters Laboratory (UL).
- Check all lighting for frayed wires, broken plugs, sockets, etc.
- Never overload outlets. Use no more than three strands of lights on a single extension cord.
- Never use candles on trees, near live or other flammable decorations.
- Blow out candles before leaving the room. Don't leave candles burning unattended.
- Consider buying new energy efficient LED lights that don't get as hot.
- Always use appropriate weatherproof lights outdoors.