.

Fireplace Ashes Cause House Fire in Holliston

Fire officials say ashes and embers from a wood stove or fireplace should be shoveled into a metal buck with a metal lid and put outside, on the ground, far away from any building.

Holliston Fire Department. Credit: Theresa Knapp.
Holliston Fire Department. Credit: Theresa Knapp.
The following press release was received from the Holliston Fire Department. 

The Holliston Fire Department responded to a home on Highland Street at 9:20 AM on Friday, Dec. 13, for a report of a fire. 

The resident was alerted to the fire when the hard-wired smoke detectors activated inside the home.  Upon arrival, personnel discovered a fire on the deck which had extended into the basement.  The resident had initially attempted to put the fire out with several fire extinguishers, but was unable to extinguish the blaze. 

The fire was determined to have been caused by improper disposal of ashes from the fireplace. 

According to Chief Michael Cassidy, “Ashes cleaned out from a wood stove or fireplace should be shoveled into a metal bucket with a metal lid, placed outside, on the ground, away from the building, to prevent fires.  Ashes and embers can stay hot for days and ignite combustibles.” 

The firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, using approximately 1,000 gallons from Engines 1 and 2.  A positive pressure fan was used to remove smoke from the home.  The fire caused an estimated $10,000 in damage.  There were no injuries. 

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »