The meeting started with Executive Session at 5:30 p.m. where the board discussed minutes as well as contract negotiations, litigation, and real property:
● To discuss the deployment of security personnel or devices, or strategies with
respect to emergency communications and the 2014 Boston Marathon;
● To discuss strategies with respect to collective bargaining updates by the Town
Manager, because an open meeting may have detrimental effects on the
bargaining positions of the Board;
● To discuss considering the purchase, exchange, lease or value of real property in
regards to a property on Lumber Street, Main Street and Ash Street, because an
open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the
● To discuss strategy with respect to litigation on Brock v. Town of Hopkinton,
because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the litigation
position of the Board; and
● Town Counsel will provide an overview of pending litigation currently before the
The public session started at 6:30 p.m. with a public forum, and included:
- Chris McClure received a certificate of completion for the Emergency Operations Center (EOC)
- Appointed Barry Rosenbloom as an Associate/Alternate Member of the Upper Charles Trail Committee to complete a 3-year term to be completed on June 30, 2016.
- Approved a parade permit for Dec. 7 from noon to 3 p.m. for the Hopkinton Downtown Holiday Stroll.
- Approved 10 donations totaling $640 to the Hopkinton Ambulance Fund in memory of Curtis Melvin, and one donation of $100 to the Hopkinton Ambulance Fund in memory of Ruth Phipps.
- Approved one disbursement of $2,000 for the Senior Center exercise program request from Marathon Fund Disbursements.
- Heard an update from the Elementary School Building Committee
- Held a public hearing regarding the assessor's tax rate. Selectmen voted to set a single tax rate.
- Voted to terminate the Town’s involvement in the MetroWest Anti-Casino Coalition.
- Held and continued a hearing regarding the transfer of a liquor license for N. Serres Corp. (DBA Bill’s Pizza) at 14 Main Street.
- Made Board liaison appointments.
- Heard the Town Manager's report.
- Heard a Police Chief Search update.
- Heard a MassDOT update on the bridge work at the Southborough/Hopkinton town line.
- Accepted an item that was unknown to the Board at the time of posting, then approved two proclamations for the Chamber of Commerce’ Distinguished Service Awards.